For ages, scientists have researched and experimented with different drugs to curb the growing menace of obesity. Though there are quite a few anti-obesity drugs available on the market, they have side effects which limit their use. The most effective treatment so far has been bariatric surgery which helps people who found little success with diet and exercise.
But surgery is typically not the first choice for a lot of people, especially since this particular surgery permanently changes the digestive system.
If you’ve been trying to lose weight for a while, you’re probably all too familiar with the quick fixes and weight loss programs that never last. And that’s where Wegovy (semaglutide) comes in.
Wegovy (Semaglutide) for Weight Management
Wegovy (semaglutide), when first introduced to the market changed the course of treatment for obesity. It proved to be a beneficial and almost magical treatment for obese patients, the first of its kind.
On June 4th, 2021, the FDA approved the Wegovy injection. It was to be administered once weekly to adults who suffered from severe obesity (body mass index ≥30) or who were overweight (body mass index ≥27). Additionally, they also had to have at least one weight-related condition, such as high BP, high cholesterol, or type 2 diabetes. Patients also had to follow a low-calorie diet combined with increased physical activity. The dosage is then increased slowly over 16 to 20 weeks to 2.4 mg to reduce gastrointestinal side effects.
How Does Wegovy (Semaglutide) Work?
You’re probably wondering what exactly Wegovy does to make it work as it does. This wonder drug works by impersonating a hormone called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) which is a natural hormone in our body and acts on our brain to regulate our appetite and food intake. By imitating GLP-1, Wegovy lowers our appetite and helps control our food intake and thus helps to lose weight.
Wegovy is highly effective against obesity and is the first approved drug for chronic weight management in adults with general obesity since 2014.
Semaglutide acts in the following ways:
- Since it delays emptying the stomach, there is always a feeling of fullness, and patients eat smaller portions of meals.
- It also reduces the production of sugar in the liver, thereby lowering blood sugar levels.
- Slows intestinal motility.
- Stimulates insulin secretion by the pancreas.
What You Should Know About Wegovy
It is always recommended to ask your doctor about the correct method to take Wegovy. Here are some general instructions advised by pharmacists:
- To get maximum benefits from Wegovy (semaglutide) it’s recommended that you always take it along with a lower-calorie diet and exercise.
- Try maintaining a notebook to remember to inject Wegovy on the same day each week. Marking or writing down the day of the week will prevent you from making errors.
- Keep Wegovy in the original box in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use the medication. Do not freeze the pens. If, by any chance, the pens have been kept frozen, have been exposed to light or temperatures higher than 86ºF, or were outside the refrigerator for more than 28 days, you need to throw them away.
- Before injecting, carefully read the instructions on the leaflet. Check the pen window to ascertain the medication is clear and colorless and that there are no solid pieces floating around. Solid pieces could mean that the medication may be contaminated, and not safe to use.
- Always wash your hands before injecting and clean the area you’ll be injecting into with an alcohol swab. Wash your hands again after every injection. This helps prevent infection.
- Inject Wegovy (semaglutide) into your lower stomach (at least 2 inches away from your belly button) or on the outer side of your thigh. If you have a nurse or caregiver, they can inject it into the outer side of your upper arm as well.
- Never inject the pen at places where the skin is bruised, scarred, red or tender, or has stretch marks. This can cause irritation. Moreover, it is important to change the injection sites at intervals. Don’t inject Wegovy into the same area every time.
- To prevent accidental pricks and injury, throw away the pen after each use into a disposal container.
- Your doctor will increase the dose gradually every 4 weeks to lower your risk of stomach/ abdominal side effects.
- If you experience any side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, or stomach pain, let your doctor know at the earliest. Your healthcare provider will advise accordingly.
- Don’t combine other medications with semaglutide or other GLP-1 agonists. This can increase your risk of side effects.
- Before starting semaglutide, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. Some ingredients in the product may cause allergic reactions. Therefore, read the details and talk to your pharmacist or doctor.
- Before using this medication, inform your doctor about your medical history, especially any disease related to the kidney, pancreas, eyes, mental disorders, certain stomach disorders, etc. If you are diabetic, it is mandatory to inform your doctor so that he can alter your diabetes medications, diet, and exercises if required.
- This drug can make patients dizzy, so if you regularly consume alcohol or marijuana (cannabis), it may be necessary to control your intake, so be sure to let your doctor know. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs alertness right after taking the injection.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a child. Semaglutide may have adverse results if taken when pregnant and for 2 months after stopping the drug. Always consult your physician before taking this medication.
- Do not use this medication with any other product that contains semaglutide or other medications which are similar to this medication (such as exenatide or dulaglutide).
Obesity is a serious health concern amongst American adults and is associated with many serious diseases like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even certain types of cancer. Thankfully, Wegovy has come as a relief for many.
If weight loss is a concern for you, then it’s always best to reach out to the experts. At RxBODYFx, you can trust us to guide you through a weight loss program that will help you lose and keep off your weight for good. For your personalized weight loss plan, book an appointment today! We’ve also opened a new location in Texas City, so get in touch!